The Truth about Tanning! You will be aware that sunbeds have attracted a lot of negative media attention; however as with anything there are always two sides to any story. Quite simply the use of sunbeds and exposure to UV light is not that danger, what all sensible people recognise is that it is abuse of sunbeds that is the problem. The philosophy of The Tanning Shop is that UV light is a vital ingredient to general well being; abstinence potentially can be more harmful than the moderate risk associated with UV exposure.
Tanning, health and Vitamin D
Please see below useful facts endorsing this philosophy.
- Tanning Beds dramtically increases Vitamin D levels and bone mass. (Tangpricha, V.et al. 2004)
- In 2006, Dr. Edward Giovannucci and colleagues determined that low Vitamin D levels cause 85,550 cancer deaths per year. (Giovannucci, E. et al. 2006)
- Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to an increased incidence of schizophrenia and depression.(McGoth J, setten Jp, Ghant. D. 2002; Gloth Fm 111, Aton W, Hollis B 1999)
- Tanning bed use relieves chronic pain. (Kaur, M. et. al. 2005)
- Vitamin D has beneficial influences on obesity. (Liel, Y et al. 1988)
- Vitamin D has beneficial influences on osteoperosis, diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis and arthritis. (Bischoff-Ferrari H. at al. 2005/ C, A. et. al. 2005/ Grimes D. et al. 1996/ Van der Mel, l. et. al. 2003/ Merlion L. at al. 2004)
Why Tanning really does help
Mankind has, until recently, always been in harmony with the sun, regardless of race, or geographical location. It was only the advent of the industrial age, when people spent more and more time indoors that diseases associated with vitamin D deficiency manifested themselves. Since unfortunately this reality remains, and England’s temperamental sun swings leave us feeling left out of the light. In the sun’s absence sunbeds provide an excellent and viable supplement. This is important to consider when “it has been estimated that 1 billion people worldwide have vitamin D deficiency.” (Dr, Holick, 2007). With conditions, like Osteoporosis becoming more prominent in the UK, a direct result of vitamin D deficiency. The sunshine hysteria which the media have embedded in society, and indoor society we seem to be, present two strong factors deterring our generation away from the sun, for all the wrong reasons. Sunbeds are not harmful only the abuse of them is.